What is WPC decking?
WPC decking is an alternative decking product made from wood plastic composites, a unique composition that replicates wood without the maintenance of traditional timber decking
How to fit WPC decking?
WPC decking is designed to be installed with ease. The first step is to prepare and build the substructure by ensuring that there is good drainage below the area, keeping joists at a maximum of 250mm centres and allowing room for expansion by keeping the WPC subframe set from surrounding walls or obstacles.
The next step would be to fix the decking boards to the composite decking joists using a fixing clip. Once this is done, and you’ve ensured your composite decking is properly supported, you can finish the deck by tidying up the sides with an angle trim.
Like many PVC building products, expansion is a major factor to consider and prepare for. Variations in temperature will result in the boards moving so there must always be a gap between two WPC products.
Colour and surface changes should also be expected and prepared for. Colour will typically fade slightly over the first 12 months but will then settle down. For the best results, it is advisable that the boards are stored in the required site for 72 hours before installation as this gives them a chance to acclimatize.
How to clean WPC decking?
Composite decking boards may show water stains and, although they generally disappear naturally after exposure to rain, the decking boards may require cleaning in hotter weather as the stains can become more exaggerated. If the decking does require cleaning then it essential to follow these steps:
- Pour hot water directly onto the decking and let it soak for 5-10 minutes.
- When sufficient time has passed, work the warm water and a neutral soap into the decking using a soft bristle brush.
- Either pressure wash to remove the soap or rinse down with hot water, the latter being the preferred method.
- Remove the water from the deck with a rubber-edged brush.
- Mop up the remaining wet areas with a clean mop.